No.1 Visa Specialist with multi-language solutions in Kansai
〒530-0041   大阪市北区天満橋2-5-25 若杉グランドビル本館11階
TEL:06-6354-3928 FAX:06-6354-3930
VISA Q and A on FM COCOLO 76.5 MHz
Visa for restaurant owners
 On Aired Data: September 4, 2001
Summary of
the Aired

A male who has been living in Japan for over 10 years, and is planning to open a restaurant. He is currently staying under the 3-year visa of the Skilled Labor status. His wife and children are also residing in Japan with him.

What does he have to do to start running a restaurant?

Let us start off by describing what to do concerning immigration matters. The status for restaurant owners would be the “Investor/Business Manager” status. Under this status, one must have two or more employees, which our client has no intention of doing at this point.

Although, there is another way for our client. He has been living long enough in Japan to apply for the Permanent residency. (The qualifications would be that one has been living in Japan for more than 10 years, and has the 3-years under one’s current visa) Since our client has been working as a chef under the Skilled Labor status ever since he has been living in Japan, it should not be that difficult for him to be permitted. Recently it takes about 4 to 6 months to obtain the Permanent residency after the application has been handed in. During this time, it would be best for him to look for a place to start his restaurant, as well as applying for a business license.

You must visit the public health center in order to obtain the business license. There are various documents you must attach to the application, such as a sketch of the restaurant’s layout, but it may be best to consult with a Gyouseishoshi lawyer to prepare them.

Our client has also asked us about whether he would be able to get a bank loan to help out on the costs of running a restaurant. This is up to the bank, so it would be best to consult with your bank. Bank loans for homes are basically for permanent residence, but even if one does not have a permanent residency, one maybe able to get a bank loan for business. Also, the Osaka prefectural government and the Osaka city government have loans at low interest rates too, so you might want to check that out.

With the above information, you can see that it would be easier to start a restaurant if you obtain the Permanent residency, although you can do so under the Investor/Business Manager status also.

Also our client is thinking of running the business with his wife. Currently she is staying under the Dependant visa. But as soon as our client obtains the Permanent residency, she will be able to apply for the Spouse of a Permanent Residency holder. Those under this status do not have any restrictions, just like the Permanent residency holder, which means she is legally allowed to help out her husband in any way. She can be the chef too, or she can be the waitress, or she can be the one at the cash register.

As you can see, there are lots of things to take care of when starting a restaurant. If you need any help or any advice, the best person to turn to would be a Gyouseishoshi Lawyer.